[Advaita-l] 12 Cen CE Marathi Nath tradition ack Shankara

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 02:21:55 EDT 2023

Sri Natraj Maneshinde posted:

===============================
Maharashtrian Acharyas of Natha tradition readily embrace the siddhanta of
Bhagavatpada
===============================

The teachings of Bhagavatpada Adi Shankaracharya have had a deep impact on
the Hindu masses. A glaring example of this can be seen in the bhakti
tradition of Maharashtra.

As known to all, Maharashtra is a stronghold of Natha sampradaya. Many of
the Warkari saints including Shri Jnaneshvar Maharaj were initiated into
Natha Sampradaya. I m not aware of the tenets of Natha tradition and how
similar or different is it with Shaankara Vedanta. But, I am intrigued to
note how readily Bhagavatpada’s siddhanta was accepted and revered by the
Maharashtraian Acharyas of Natha tradition. Per my limited interactions
with a few Maharashtrain friends, I have realized that this synthesis has
only grown stronger over the years.

When we try to trace the beginning of this synthesis , we verily arrive at
the early days of Marathi literature. Shri Mukundaraj Kavi is regarded as
the ‘Adya-kavi’ of Marathi literature. He belonged to the 12th Century and
has composed a Vedantik work in Marathi named ‘Viveka Sindhu’(VS). The work
is dated to 1188 AD based on an internal reference furnished by the author
himself. Though he hailed from the Natha sampradaya (as revealed by himself
in the final chapter of VS), the siddhanta described in the work is
completely in agreement with Shaankara Vedanta. The work upholds the
Pramanya of Veda and condemns the schools which reject it. The concepts of
Tatpadartha/tvampadartha-shodhan, Advidya/Maya and Vivartavada are also
discussed in detail. The entire second half of the work is dedicated to
Mahavakyartha Vichara on ‘Tattvamasi’ where the Mahavakya is explained in
the light of ‘Jahad-ajahallakshana’. Moreover, the author explicitly
mentions that he is merely stating Bhagavatpada’s teachings in Marathi.

प्रणवपंचीकृत्यें ॥ येथेंविस्तारिलींसविश्रुतें ॥ महावाक्यउपदेशग्रंथें ॥
उत्तरार्धीं॥४६॥
शंकरोक्तिवरी ॥ मीबोलिलोंमराठीवैखरी ॥ ह्मणूनिनिर्धारावीचतुरीं ॥
शास्त्रबुद्धी ॥४७॥

~ श्री मुकुंदराज कवि, विवेकसिन्धु, पूर्वार्ध ७.४६-४७

[I have deliberated on Pranava and Panchikarana in the Purvardha. In the
uttaradha, I will be dealing with Mahavakya vichara]
[ Based on Shankaracharya’s preachings(commentaries), I am writing this
work in Marathi. Hence, the wise must ascertain it with Shastra-buddhi]

Thus, it is a matter of great joy to all Advaitians that an early Marathi
Brahmana belonging to the Natha tradition is preaching Shaankara Vedanta
with such great zeal. Also, it is heartening to see that Bhagavatpada and
his siddhanta continued to be revered by the succeeding Marathi authors
too. Here are a couple instances regarding the same.

1. Jnaneshwari of Shri Jnaneshwar Maharaj

तैसा व्यासाचा मागोवा घेतु । भाष्यकाराते वाट पुसतु ।
अयोग्यही मी न पवतु । के जाईन ।
~ ज्ञानेश्वरी १८. १७२२

[As I am following in the footsteps of sage Vyasa and consulting the
Bhashyakara (Shri Shankara) which way to go, where can I, though unworthy,
reach if not the right place?]

Given the striking similarity between Jnaneshwari and Shaankara Geeta
bhashya, it is beyond dispute that the Bhashyakara referenced here is
Bhagavatpada himself.

2. Ekanathi Bhagavat of Shri Ekanath Maharaj

वंदूं आचार्य शंकरु ।
 जो का ग्रंथार्थविवेक चतुरु ।
सारुनि कर्मठतेचा विचारु ।
प्रबोध दिनकरु प्रकाशिला ॥
~ श्री एकनाथ महाराज, एकनाथी भागवत

[ I bow down to Acharya Shankara, who is an adept in bringing out the true
purport of the Shastric texts, who has made the Sun of Jnana-marga shine
after having set aside the Karma-pradhana interpretations (of the
upanishads)]

It fills our heart with great delight to witness this love and reverence
that the Maharashtra’s sant-parampara, which is predominantly rooted in
Natha tradition, has had towards Bhagavatpada and his siddhanta.

Many thanks to Yashas Churchillious for sharing info on Shri Mukundaraj
Kavi 🙏

॥ भव शङ्कर देशिक मे शरणम् ॥