[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Fwd: Fundamental Advaita tenets in the Pancharatra text Gautami Tantra

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 12:44:21 EDT 2023

There are many doctrinal points in this text which are accepted only in
Advaita, and which are very detrimental to other schools:
https://archive.org/.../GautamiyaTantr.../page/n175/mode/2up
<https://archive.org/details/GautamiyaTantramSanskrit/page/n175/mode/2up>
A rough translation of the verses of the first image:
78: If the jiva is distinct from Brahman, it becomes an effect (of Brahman,
the cause). This makes a scholar, the jiva, no different from an inert
(achintyam is the word here), just like a pot.
79: It is subject to destruction and also fear since the Brihadaranyaka
says: there is fear from the second: dviteeyaad vai bhayam bhavati. But the
Atman is nitya, sarvagata (all pervading), Immutable (nirvikari kutastha),
free of any defect.
80. The One becomes many, bheda, due to bhranti, mAyA. Therefore there is
nothing called duality, dvaitam, there is no world, no assemblage (of
various parts to make up the body mind complex) .
81: Huge/infinite space is spoken of as the house-space, pot space. So too
those who are deluded, bhrAntAH, One Atma is spoken of as jiva and Ishwara.
81: Huge/infinite space is spoken of as the house-space, pot space. So too
those who are deluded, bhrAntAH, One Atma is spoken of as jiva and Ishwara.
82. I am not the body, not the prANa, not the sense/motor organs, not the
manas, buddhi, chitta and ahankara.
83. I am not the elements, earth, water, fire, air and space. I am not the
shabda, sparsha, rupa and rasa.
84. I am not gandha and rupa (these five are the gunas/properties of the
five elements). I am not mAyA, not samsara. Since I am always of the nature
of witness, sAkshi, I am verily Krishna.
85. This contemplation is called samadhi.
A rough translation of the verses of the second image:
The jiva should be realized as Ishwara. When this sense of so'ham firms up,
the wise know that it is Samadhi.
The world is generated and dissolves in the Atman, just like the foam,
bubbles and the waves are formed from the sea and lapse there itself.
So apart from Me this world does not exist. The world is illusory. This
firm contemplation is Samadhi.
Thus this Pancharatra text conveys the main tenets of Advaita. See the text
images here: https://groups.google.com/g/advaitin/c/L4cZ7pXPqMw

Om