[Advaita-l] Subject: Is there a difference between papa and dushkarma

sunil bhattacharjya skbhattacharjya at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 18:33:05 EST 2023

Dear Dr. Sammit P. S. Khandeparkarji,

When one realizes that he or she has committed a Maha-papa and earnestly
repents for it and he or she also luckily gets the advice that  the
performance of the Deva-puja in the shodoshopchar vidhi, will help him get
rid of the maha-papa, it means that if  he or she performs such a  ceremony
with utmost sincerity and vows not repeat any such bad karma in future, and
if the or she too sincerely believes that his or her papa will diminish
over time, it may really happen so over a period of time. It is generally
believed that in the Kali yuga, it will take more thatn one year for the
suddhikarana.

For an advaitin the vyavaharika world is impermanent, and one has to try to
give up the attachments for the worldly objects and attainments, so as to
achieve the Vasanaa-kshaya in order to achieve spiritual progress so that
one would eventually be able to go beyond the vyavaharika world.

Best wishes,
Sunil K. Bhattacharjya