[Advaita-l] Fwd: The passing away of Brahmasri Vijayaraghava Sastrigal

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 08:24:52 EST 2023

A friend sent this note:

Brahmashri. Vijayaraghava Sastrigal, who served in the faculty of the
Madras Sanskrit College for many years, passed away on Feb 9, 2023.
Sastrigal was well known in Madras as both - a Ghanapati of the Shukla
Yajur Veda and a scholar well versed in vedanta shastra. During the course
of his life, he trained several students including his two sons. Sastrigal
was closely associated with the Kanchi and Sakatapuram Mathas. He was also
honored by the Sringeri Matha for his contributions to the larger sastraic
community.

He was a very unassuming man who led a life of simplicity. I had the
fortune of learning Sanskrit from him over two summers, going to his house
for daily classes. Not many were aware of Sastrigal's deep love for Tamil
literature. He once surprised me by asking me the meaning of a Tamil film
song that was hugely popular in the 60's. When I could not give a
satisfactory answer, he smiled and explained it to me at length.

Sastrigal passed away on Feb 9, while listening to his students doing
Upanishad parayana. His passing is a great loss for the community of
vaidikas and scholars alike.

Here is a picture of Sri Sastrigal:
https://groups.google.com/g/advaitin/c/E8DOdehKVXs