[Advaita-l] Fwd: Panchapadika and Prapanchasara-vivaranam of Bhagavan Padmapadacharya

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 20:35:30 EST 2023

Namaste Jaldhar ji
Thank you for your informative posts on Vinayaka and matRgaNa-s.

The tantras and Agamas are dynamic topical responses of respected Acharyas
and upAsakas in keeping with particular times and places.

The worship of saumya aspects of certain hitherto ugra devatAs may well
have their origin/commencement in the upAsanA/bhakti of krAnta-darSI
Acharyas and jnAnIs including Sri Shankara BhagavatpAda etc.

In that sense there is no mistake in accepting that certain of the Agama
and tantra worship may well be a sAttvika/saumya evolute of later times
(say, the 8th Century) of corresponding ugra aspects of those very devatAs,
which happened to be in vogue in earlier times.

The bhakti/upAsana of later acharyas evoked that particular saumya response
from Ishvara (who has agency too; the forms she can manifest are not
pre-programmed or frozen in time but can be a dynamic response to the
bhakta/upasaka in question) and this was codified in sAttvika tantras etc.
The imprimatur of tradition and the wider peer "review" of other upAsakas
and acharyas of the Vedic tradition was a sine qua non for such upAsya
mUrti worship to pass muster as authentic veda-compatible Agama. (This is
to preclude every "Adi yogi" kind of arbitrary innovation from being
considered authentic.)

Om
Raghav

On Thu, 2 Mar, 2023, 12:26 pm Jaldhar H. Vyas via Advaita-l, <