[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Mandukya bhashya. Ignorance seed in sushupti (fwd)

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Jun 30 11:28:21 EDT 2023

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: H S Chandramouli <hschandramouli at gmail.com>

Dear Dennis,

Really do not want to spoil your holiday mood. But felt compelled to just
draw your attention to one point made by you.

//  Ignorance means lack of knowledge, a bit like darkness means lack of
photons in the visible electromagnetic spectrum //.

This is not the position taken in the Shrutis as explained by Sri
Bhagavatpada.

BU 3-7-13

//  यस्तमसि तिष्ठंस्तमसोऽन्तरो यं तमो न वेद यस्य तमः शरीरं यस्तमोऽन्तरो यमयत्येष त
आत्मान्तर्याम्यमृतः ॥ १३ ॥//

//  yastamasi tiShThaMstamaso.antaro yaM tamo na veda yasya tamaH sharIraM
yastamo.antaro yamayatyeSha ta AtmAntaryAmyamRRitaH || 13 || //

Bhashya thereon

//  योऽप्सु तिष्ठन् , अग्नौ, अन्तरिक्षे, वायौ, दिवि, आदित्ये, दिक्षु, चन्द्रतारके, आकाशे,
यस्तमस्यावरणात्मके बाह्ये तमसि, तेजसि तद्विपरीते प्रकाशसामान्ये — इत्येवमधिदैवतम्
अन्तर्यामिविषयं दर्शनं देवतासु । //

//  yo.apsu tiShThan , agnau, antarikShe, vAyau, divi, Aditye, dikShu,
chandratArake, AkAshe, yastamasyAvaraNAtmake bAhye tamasi, tejasi
tadviparIte prakAshasAmAnye — ityevamadhidaivatam antaryAmiviShayaM
darshanaM devatAsu | //

Translation (Swami Madhavananda)  // He who inhabits water,fire,the sky, the
air, heaven, the sun, the quarters, the moon and the stars, the ether,
darkness – the external darkness which obstructs vision, and light, light in
general which is the opposite of darkness //.

AntaryAmi Devata is mentioned in respect of Darkness as well. This is the
Shruti PramANa for darkness as BhAvarUpa, an existent entity.

Please do not bother about responding  immediately or even early. I am
posting now since I am most likely to forget about it later. You may like to
respond on your return from the holidays.

Have a nice and enjoyable holiday.

With Best Wishes

Chandramouli