[Advaita-l] Subject: Lalitha Sahsranama - Saundaryalahari

sunil bhattacharjya skbhattacharjya at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 13:29:06 EDT 2023

Dear friends,

Please correct me if I am wrong, I have the impression that most of the
Advaitin teachers today imagine that Adi Shankara had written the book
"Saundaryalahari", but they had not been able to say as to how they arrived
at that conclusion.

In fact,to my understanding, the first portion consisting of 41 verses of
that book is called "Anandalahari", was composed by a brahmin king. The
second portion of that book, consisting of 59 verses of that book, is
called  "Saundaryalahari", and that was composed  by the great Navavatara,
Shri Abhinava Shankaracharya, who was born in the 8th century AD.

I am sure, Adi Shankaracharya, a great lover of truth, is surely most
unhappy with the  people trying to give false credit to him (i.e., to Adi
Shankara) for the book "Anandalahari".

Regards,
Sunil K. Bhattacharjya