[Advaita-l] Gita 2.16 Simpler Meaning

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 20 03:05:54 EDT 2023

Namaste,

In Gita 2.16, if we take more simpler meanings for the terms
sat/asat and bhAva/abhAva we can see that this verse is not
as esoteric as people make it out to be.

sat: something which is auspicious
asat : something which inauspicious

bhAva: positive sentiment/ emotion
abhAva: lack of positive sentiment/ emotion

Gita 2.16 reads: na asato vidyate bhAvaH, na abhAvo vidyate sataH

Simple meaning: In this world we find that for something which is inauspicious
people do not attach (truly) positive sentiments/ emotions.
Wise people use this principle as a yardstick to distinguish between sat and asat.

With regards,
Shrinivas Gadkari