[Advaita-l] Fwd: The reality ascribed to Brahman is not the same for the world

Vikram Jagannathan vikkyjagan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 13:45:58 EDT 2023

Namaskaram,

Indeed; Swami Ramanujacharya mentions this in Brahmasutra 1.1.2. While
explaining "satyam jnanam anantam brahma" he says that the word 'satyam'
speaks of Brahman associated with unconditioned reality (or existence),
excluding the non-sentient (achit jagat) and sentient (chit jiva) entities.
This can be seen as attributing a higher level of independent reality to
Brahman's svarupa whereas the attributes of Brahman, namely achit and chit,
have a relatively lower level of dependent reality. However, all three -
Brahman, Jiva, Jagat - are considered to be equally eternal and existing at
all times.

This stands in contrast with Swami Sankaracharya's explanation of gradation
of reality based on sublation, dependence and relative non-existence with
reference to higher perspective. As a quick comment, though they are
similar (in gradation of reality), there are significant differences
between the two schools in the nature & definition of reality.

with humble prostrations,
Vikram

On Mon, Jun 19, 2023 at 2:14 AM V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <