[Advaita-l] Shastra reference for Sanyasa Ashrama

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at hitachienergy.com
Mon Jun 5 05:00:02 EDT 2023

praNAms
Hare Krishna

In the Jivanmukti viveka Swami Vidyaranya accepts sannyasa for women, without uttering the praisha mantra but by saying its equivalent in their mother tongue.

>  this is very interesting.  Please let me have the exact reference.  But when it has been allowed by traditional acharya why we don’t see any saNyAsini from the orthodox traditional mutts like Sringeri / Kanchi??  Nor there is any formal initiation (deeksha) to any stree by any traditional Amnaya Acharya!!... interested and abled strees would get sannyasa deeksha only from modern centers like chinmaya, arshavidya, ramakrishna mission etc.

Also he cites a verse that says: The mother and the wife of a person who takes sannyasa as per the vidhi, will be getting a male body in their later life.

>  when stree also eligible to take sannyasa why special insistence on male body??  Not able to understand this.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar