[Advaita-l] Shiva and Krishna give the same assurance - Mahabharata

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 05:52:54 EDT 2023

In the Mahabharata Anushasana Parva there is a discourse on Yoga by Shiva:

At the end he says;

https://sa.wikisource.org/s/3bh

महेश्वर उवाच।

सायुज्यानां विशिष्टं च मामकं वैष्णवं तथा।

मां प्राप्य न निवर्तन्ते विष्णु वा शुभलोचने।।

One attains me or Vishnu and never returns to samsara.

In the Mahabharata, Ashvamedha parvan, there is a dialogue between Krishna
and Yudhishthira on the ‘vaishnava dharma shāstra’:

https://sanskritdocuments.org/mirrors/mahabharata/mbhK/unic/mbhK14_sa.html

   प्रविशेत्स महातेजा मां वा शङ्करमेव वा | न स्यात्पुनर्भवो राजन्नात्र
   कार्या विचारणा ||१४-१०३-११७ (९५९६८)

The person who performs severe austerities, vrata-s, stated herein, attains
to Me (Krishna) or Shiva and never returns to samsara. There is no doubt at
all in this.

Thus we have both Hari and Hara making the same statement: the attainment
of Hari or Hara is what is known as moksha.

Om Tat Sat