[Advaita-l] Gaudapada and Shankara hold the waking objects to be mithya

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 01:28:35 EDT 2023

Namaste Sudhanshuji,

On Sat, Jul 29, 2023 at 10:18 AM Sudhanshu Shekhar <sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Whether or not a vyAvahArika snake is placed alongside rope, or whether or
> not the Aropya redness-of-flower is sannikrishTa, the point is -- the
> redness-of-crystal is not eligible for contact with eye just as illusory
> snake is not available for contact with eye.
>
> Even if there is contact of eye with red flower or with real snake placed
> beside --- the redness seen in crystal or the illusory snake cannot be seen
> by eye -- because redness is not there in crystal, because snake is not
> there in rope.

Are you saying that when you see the red flower and the plain crystal
together, your eyes have no sannikarSha with the redness of the flower at
all? I hope not. If there is sannikarSha with redness of the flower, that
redness seen anyathA, anyatra, in the crystal is the very anyathAkhyAti. If
both anyathAkhyAti and anirvachanIyakhyAti work in the same situation,
where lohitya is to be accepted as having anirvachanIyotpatti in the
crystal, it has gaurava as compared to anyathAkhyAti. That is the position
of VP.

> Hence, sAkshi-bhAsya illusory redness has to be accepted in crystal. That
> is what the commentary says -- तस्मात् आरोप्यसन्निकर्षस्थले अपि......

I was explaining VP, not the commentary. There are some cases where the
commentary shows another possibility or plain disagrees on a particular
point. BTW, I am not saying that VP commentary is disagreeing here, I
haven't studied the TIkA fully, but if it is, that is alright by me. It is
also simple to take anirvachanIyakhyAti applicable in all situations as per
Vedanta. That is a different kind of lAghava perhaps. However, if and when
tArkika shows gauravadoSha, we accept anyathAkhyAti in such a particular
instance. I recall this from Vicharasagara also.

Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That, owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */