[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: Gaudapada and Shankara hold the waking objects to be mithya

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 06:46:30 EDT 2023

Maya is TucchA as per Shruti:

न निरोधो न चोत्पत्तिर्न बद्धो न च साधकः।
न मुमुक्षा न मुक्तिश्च इत्येषा परमार्थता ॥

This is found in some Upanishads like Brahmabindu, Amritabindu, etc. As per
this verse, no creation, no world, therefore no jivas, none bound, none
striving for release and no realized person/no state of release.  Hence no
role for maya in this paramarthik state.  This is the absolute state.  Also
from shrutis like neha nanasti kinchana, ekamevadvitiyam, na tu
taddvitiyamasti, salila eko advaitah, prapanchopashamam shantam shivam
advaitam, etc. maya and its kaarya do not exist.  So tucchatvam can be
established.

Yukti: सच्चेन्न बाध्येत, असच्चेन्न प्रतीयेत - if maya kaarya had been real,
it would not be sublated/negated by jnana. But it is seen to be negated. If
it had been asat (hare's horn tucchaa), it would not have been perceived.
But it is perceived; the snake bhrama is experienced.  So, it is
sadasadvilakshana anirvachaniya.

regards
subbu

On Thu, Jul 27, 2023 at 3:08 PM Sudhanshu Shekhar via Advaita-l <