[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: Gaudapada and Shankara hold the waking objects to be mithya

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 05:53:46 EDT 2023

On Thu, Jul 27, 2023 at 3:09 PM Sudhanshu Shekhar via Advaita-l <

> I understand what you said. But there is a difference between horns of hare
> and illusory snake. The former does not appear while the latter appears.
> The former is tuchcha while the latter is mithtA.
>
> PanchadashI says that it is only through yukti that avidyA/MAyA is
> anirvachanIyA. As per Shruti, it is tuchchA.
>
> Now, to understand mithyAtva/anirvachanIyatva of MAyA is simple. Advaita
> Siddhi deals with that in detail.
>
> But the point is -- MAyA is tuchchhA. How to understand that!! Shankara
> says in DashashlokI - jagat tuchchham. How to understand that!!

shrautabodhena tucChA, kAlatraye api asatI says Ramakrishnatika under this
paraphrased in Panchadashi verse 6.130. That means after the tAtparyabodha
of the Shruti, clearly pAramArthika perspective. Everything other than
brahma is tucCha is shrauta perspective. mAyA being kAryAnumeya, without
the kArya, brahma is no longer the kAraNa and mAyA is unwarranted. If we
just take one step back into 6.129, the verse itself says vidyAdRShTyA
shrutaM tucChaM. Modakatika quotes Bhagavan Vartikakara's words there as:
brahmadRShTyA tu avidyA iyaM na kathanchana yujyate.

gurupAdukAbhyAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That, owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */