[Advaita-l] [advaitin] RE: Gaudapada and Shankara hold the waking objects to be mithya

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 02:08:30 EDT 2023

Dear Bhaskar ji,

Your objections are against Gaudapada and Shankara, to say it plainly.  You
are refuting what Gaudapada and Shankara have said in no uncertain terms in
the karika and bhashya and are citing a different verse which is not what
is being discussed. Even there, the verse you cite, it is the message that
the Jnani aught to see the Tattva by giving up what is 'atattva', which has
been termed 'avitathaa' in the verse under discussion.

If Gaudapada and Shankara should be saying what you are suggesting, then
they should not have uttered the words:

avitathaa iva lakshitaaH:  (the waking world of objects) it is wrongly
understood as real

and Shankara should not have said: तथेमे जाग्रद्दृश्या भेदाः
आद्यन्तयोरभावात् वितथैरेव मृगतृष्णिकादिभिः सदृशत्वाद्वितथा एव ; तथापि
अवितथा इव लक्षिता *मूढैरनात्मविद्भिः* ॥

Thus, you are faulting Gaudapada and Shankara for not presenting the
Vedanta as per your understanding and liking. And you are suggesting what
they aught to have said instead.

warm regards
subbu