[Advaita-l] Sanyasin and his duties toward his ancestors

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Jul 11 16:30:53 EDT 2023

On Tue, 11 Jul 2023, Srimugunthan Dhandapani via Advaita-l wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am trying to understand sanyasa dharma and a householder's dharma.
> For a householder , not doing pinda darpan alone results in pithru dosha.

Yes.  We are born with three debts, to the Devas which is paid by pujas
etc.  To Pitrs which is paid by tarpana etc. as you say, and to the Rshis
which is paid by study of shastras etc.

> On the other hand, If one takes up sanyasa, then he renounces his family
> relations and his relationship with his parents. So he cant
>
> 1. Take care of his parents when they are old.
> 2. Will not have a child . So he doesnt help in the Propagation of his
> family clan or growing the family lineage.
> 3. Will not offer pinda darpana or shradda ceremony to their ancestors

Yes.  Well, to clarify this is true of the paramahamsa.  There are other
grades of sannyasis mentioned in dharmashastras that are involved in karma
to some degree but as Advaita Vedanta only considers the paramahamsa to be
capable of jivanmukti what you say is true.

> But sanyasa is hailed as supreme. In common perception, all of the
> above causes pain to his parents and indirectly to his ancestors too.
>

> Shouldn't there be a consequence of a renunciate not-doing of
> pinda-darpana to his ancestors, not taking care of parents doing old
> age, not having a offspring for the propagation of the clan?  Is it
> considered during the sanyasa rituals ?

When you enter a debt by e.g. signing a loan with the bank, you put your
signature and promise that "I will repay this amount in this amount of
time" and so on.  So too with these divine debts there is the notion that
"I" must repay them.  But for the vidvan paramahamsa there is no "I".  He
is only Brahman.  And as these Pitrs, Devas etc. are also Brahman they are
his own self.  So far from abandoning them, he has brought them the
closest degree possible.

One has to above all be honest with oneself.  Am I able to renounce all
ties with my loved ones?  Will anyone suffer as a result of my decision.
If there is any obstacle one should wait to take sannyasa until those
obstacles are cleared.  I have faced this issue myself.  People have said
Jaldhar you tell other people about vairagya and so on but why haven't you
taken sannyasa yourself?  I have a mother who is 82 years old.  I have a
wife and two children who depend on me.  And I am attached to them.
Intellectually I know these bonds are moha but there they are.  If I were
to take sannyasa and abandon them I would indeed suffer evil karmic
consequences.  So I try and be diligent in svadhyaya and my grhastha
dharma until such time as the circumstances become more favorable to
renunciation.

This is why though the Brahmasutras say one can take sannyasa from any
ashrama (or none like e.g. Shukadevaji) the practical Smarta tradition is
one should take it in the last stage of life after all the obligations are
met.