[Advaita-l] avidvan / vidwan definition from Shankaracharya's works:

Krishna Kashyap kkashyap2011 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 15:25:26 EDT 2023

Namaste everyone,

I was checking the first to two verses of Isavasya.

Shankaracharya says the first verse is for Vidwan
2nd is for avidvan.

if you are a vidwan, or atma vit, you go to the forest and don't return
back. do not do any shastra vihita nitya karmas.

if you are an avidwan, desire to live for 100 years Only by doing nitya
karmas.

evem tvayi nanyathesti - of upanishad says there is NO OTHER WAY.

*Many new age gurus think that karmas are for the dumb beginners and most
people end up being in the vidwan category. *they even translate as
intelligent and intelligent for these two words.

can someone please summarize from different parts of Shankara bhasya

who is vidwan and avidwan

I am sure it will be of great use for me.

should vidwan be understood as stitha prajna? or has perfect realization of
advaya brahman? or who has firm mental conviction that there is only one
brahman and universe is only apparent.

recently. V.Subbu Ji posted info that says till one gets good bramha jnana,
everything here is real. (satyatva upapatteh)

Please enlighten us the subtle aspects of who is vidwan or jnani and who is
not.

thanks namaskaras

*Best Regards,*

*Krishna Kashyap*