[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Mandukya bhashya. Ignorance seed in sushupti

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 00:03:30 EDT 2023

Namaste Venkat Ji,

Reg // How would one describe the cause in terms of the effect - is it the
same as the effect? is it different? In advaita we refer to it as tAdAtmya,
but it is neither bheda nor abheda //,

Can you please give any reference to this. In my understanding, Cause is
not described in terms of the effect at all. It is not necessary either.
Effect is the manifest form of the cause which is always unmanifest. I
don’t think tAdAtmya relationship between cause and effect is correct  when
both of them enjoy the same level of Reality. samasattA (समसत्ता). In
Advaita SidhAnta, only AdhyAsika tAdAtmya (आध्य्सिक तादात्म्य)  is admitted
as for example as stated in BSB 2-2-38 copied below.

// ब्रह्मवादिनः कथमिति चेत् , न; तस्य तादात्म्यलक्षणसम्बन्धोपपत्तेः ।//

//  brahmavAdinaH kathamiti chet , na; tasya
tAdAtmyalakShaNasambandhopapatteH //

This pertains to the relationship between jagat and Brahman wherein Brahman
is addressed as the vivarta kAraNa for jagat. Brahman and jagat enjoy
different levels  of Reality (विषमसत्ता).

Regards