[Advaita-l] Help - Vishnu Purana

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 22:30:46 EST 2023

On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 7:20 AM Aravinda Rao via Advaita-l <

> Namaskars,
> The anvaya seems to be like this
> यस्मिन् (परात्मनि) हृदि निवेशिते (सति) - (The Supreme Atman), whom, by
> installing in the heart, (sati saptamI)
> योगी वितताम् अविद्यां मायां तरति - the yogi crosses over the expansive
> avidya and maya
> तस्मै - for him
> अमेयाय - for the immeasurable,
> विद्यात्मने - of the nature of vidya
> नमः - I bow
> "By installing whom - (the paramatman) - in his heart, the yogi crosses
> over the vast avidya and maya, him, the immeasurable and one who is of the
> nature of knowledge, I bow".
> I have not seen the English translation.

Also, it is not clear why both
> words - avidya and maya - are used. Is it that he crosses the avidya (at
> the individual level) and maya (at the Iswara level)?

The commentary of Sridhara Swamin (who has commented on the entire
Bhagavatam and the Bhagavadgita) for this verse is:

अविद्याम् = आत्मच्छादिकाम्  तामेव मायाम् = अहंकारममकारमोहकरीम् बुद्ध्यानेन
तरति |

The meaning we get is: avidya is the enveloping power. It envelops the
Atman. Maya is that Avidya alone, in its vikshepa shakti, which deludes one
through creating the ahankara, mamakara.  One overcomes/transcends this
Avidya-synonymous-with-Maya through his intellect (akhandakara vritti).

warm regards
subbu