[Advaita-l] Fwd: Where Does Your Sense of Self Come From? A Scientific Look - TED Talk

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 01:59:55 EST 2023

Namaste Subbu ji
That was a really good talk by the Anil Ananthaswamy, an IIT Madras
Alumnus,  and thanks for sharing.

His take on the narrative self (our story of who we are in vyavahAra that
we tell ourselves continually) being merely a construct, as evidenced in
Alzheimer's cases,
 is not much different from the mithyAtvam of the ahaMkAra asserted by
vedAnta.

Next he goes on to indicate the "mama sharIraM" idea also as a fluid
construction i.e., mithyA. This is derived from both phantom and foreign
limb syndromes (xenomilia).

And then even kartTRtvaM is indicated to be mithyA as in schizophrenia.

So far his talk went well. But then the question, "Who is it that perceives
or experiences these altered states of selfhood indicating it's constructed
nature?" is addressed in an illogical way by saying "maybe even that self
will go away".

To assert difference logically necessitates some unchanging reference/datum
of experience - this logical requirement is missed. Else, no change can
even be talked of at all, in the first place. Such an anvaya vyatireka
logic is unavoidable to assert changes occurring in the self and our
experience of altered selfhood. And that itself points to the upAdhitvaM of
the mind against an Unchanging Reference.

Om
Raghav

On Fri, 20 Jan, 2023, 6:12 pm V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l, <