[Advaita-l] [advaitin] 'Prana' as Brahman

Kaushik Chevendra chevendrakaushik at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 06:21:38 EST 2023

Namaste sir

I think the Puranic idea of Vishnu or Shiva or Devi....being the source of
> the Trimurtis could be interpreted as: the Source is the Parameshwara and
> the Trimurtis are kArya Brahman.  In that case those lokas can be accepted
> as the ones where their upasakas end up having sAyujyam with them. Then at
> the end of that loka the inmates along with the head of that loka (Shiva,
> etc.) will attain videha Kaivalyam.  In this scenario we have to accept
> this Shiva, etc. of the Triad are those who have attained to this position
> through upasana. The Turiya Shiva/Vishnu that is the source of the
> Trimurtis will be their Source and that Brahman is not attainable through
> sadhana.

This will generate a problem. Because in the brahmasutra bhasya 1.1.20
acharya says that only the supreme self parameshwara is free from defects
of karma and sin. And continuing the statment he says that this
"parameshwara" takes forms to grace his devotees and quotes the Vishnu
Purana statment of Vishnu to Narada. In the case of brahma it's not so. His
position is due to karma and he is not completely free from
sin(brihadaranyaka upanishad).
So it's very well being established that parameshwara when he takes a form
is not born like the other jeevas. But due to Maya Upadhi he appears so.
Hence in the gita upodhghata acharya says that Vishnu is in eternal
position of knowledge and salvation (Nithya muktha) indicating he never
fell into the cycle of samsara. In gita 4.6 acharya calls krishna as
aja(unborn) and calls his birth as Maya and due to his iccha referencing to
the BSB bhasya.
If we say that this form is due to karma it looses it's position of
ichavasat and also of the parameshwara roopa being free from karma.
Hence it's not possible for the roopas of krishna/Vishnu or Shiva being
attained through karma isn't possible.
That's why acharya says "vishnutva", "vasudevaikhyam" and "tat vishnor
paramam padam" as mukthi. An intresting note here is that the
vasudevaikhyam is substituted with "murariaikyam" and "nrisimhaikyam" by
few early commentators.
Thus it can be concluded that attaining vishnutva is mukthi.

I am not aware as to how to interpret the krama mukthi with regards to
bakthi.