[Advaita-l] Regarding the verses 'Maayaavadam asat shaastram...'

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 07:16:57 EST 2023

In the set of the Padmapurana alleged verses on Mayavadam asat shaastram,
there is this verse:

कर्मस्वरूपत्याज्यत्वमत्रैव प्रतिपाद्यते॥ ६-२३६-८ ॥

सर्वकर्मपरिभ्रष्टैर्वैधर्मत्वं तदुच्यते।

which means: In this doctrine (Advaita) alone the giving up of the very
nature of karma.  There is a variant reading:

svakarmarUpaM tyAjyatvamatraivapratipaadhyate || Pa Pur 6.236.8 || (The
giving up of one's ordained duties is .....)

That such a charge does not apply to Advaita is clearly established here:

https://groups.google.com/g/bvparishat/c/sDJvRaqyoys/m/wbtzziMBGIAJ

Now additionally, we see the Bhagavatam, in the Uddhava Gita ,has this
instruction by Bhagavan to Uddhava:

श्रीमद्भागवतपुराणम्/स्कन्धः ११/अध्यायः १२
https://sa.wikisource.org/s/iki

तस्मात्त्वमुद्धवोत्सृज्य चोदनां प्रतिचोदनाम्।
प्रवृत्तिं च निवृत्तिं च श्रोतव्यं श्रुतमेव च १४।
मामेकमेव शरणमात्मानं सर्वदेहिनाम्।
याहि सर्वात्मभावेन मया स्या ह्यकुतोभयः १५।

https://vedabase.io/en/library/sb/11/12/14-15/
Therefore, My dear Uddhava, abandon the Vedic mantras as well as the
procedures of supplementary Vedic literatures and their positive and
negative injunctions. Disregard that which has been heard and that which is
to be heard. Simply take shelter of Me alone, for I am the Supreme
Personality of Godhead, situated within the heart of all conditioned souls.
Take shelter of Me wholeheartedly, and by My grace be free from fear in all
circumstances.

So, the Lord himself is asking Uddhava to give up enjoined work.  This is
nothing short of Sarva karma sannyasa.  The purport of the Bh.Gita famous
verse: sarva dharmaan parityajya.. is echoed here. The commentary of
Sridhara Swamin is below:
यस्मादेवंभूतो मद्भजनप्रभावः तस्मात् त्वं चोदनाम् = श्रुतिं, प्रतिचोदनाम् =
स्मृतिं च | यद्वा विधिं च निषेधं च उत्सृज्य मां शरणं याहि | [Since such is
the power of being devoted to Me, Uddhava, give up the veda and smriti. Or,
having  given up the injunctions and prohibitions take total refuge in Me.]

Thus while Veda Vyasa himself has taught the giving up of karma the
Padmapurana allegation on Advaita is quite preposterous.

Om Tat Sat