[Advaita-l] [advaitin] rAma-krishna-shiva-durga etc. are not same in shAstric vyavahAra!!!

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 13:08:32 EST 2023

Thank you Venkat ji, for the explanation based on Achyutarai
Modak's commentary on the 10.2.  When one reads it, it is inevitable that
one gets the feeling that it is a very convoluted interpretation.  He
himself finds it so, it appears, when he gives that struggling vigraha for
that samasa, and saying 'vaktum shakyatvaaccha'.

 He first parses the samasa as viShNvaadi and makes it a plural विष्ण्वादयः
. And uttama to apply to Indra etc. exalted ones. Does he mean Vishnu, etc.
*Ishwaras* have 'entered' Indra, etc. exalted deities? When the previous
verse says 'Brahman entered' in singular, how will it align with the plural
Vishnu, etc. entered ...?  Who are meant by the 'Adi' after Vishnu?

The Ramakrishna commentary does not do all that.  It simply takes Vishnu,
etc. as signifying exalted bodies.  The Tamil translation of Jnanananda
Bharati Swamigal too says so. The Kalyanapiyusha commentary also says this
alone:

https://archive.org/details/Vedanta.Panchadasi.with.Kalyana.Piyusa.Vyakhya/page/n463/mode/2up

Also, the reading in the second line, last word, differs across the
commentaries: Modak takes it as 'Devataam' and explains: The one who has
entered in humans, etc.and worships (himself as) devatA.  In Ramakrishna's
reading, it is 'martyatAm', Brahman, having entered human, etc. bodies,
experiences itself as human. In this case, there requires an 'aadi' in the
martyatAm too since each jiva in every non-human animal, etc. body
experiences itself as that. Bhajati can mean 'experiences' and 'worships'.
In the Kalyanapiyusha the 'martyatAm 'is seen. In any case, there seems to
be difficulty if martyatAm is taken. Overall the verse poses difficulty.

I agree with the rest of your clarification regarding meditation, etc.
Thanks for that.

warm regards
subbu