[Advaita-l] [advaitin] rAma-krishna-shiva-durga etc. are not same in shAstric vyavahAra!!!

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 17:04:49 EST 2023

Namaste Subbuji,

In the bRhadAraNyaka upaniShad bhAShya vArttika of this brAhmaNa, there is
an interesting verse (verse 16 of the puruShavidha brAhmaNa chapter):
तेन तेनाऽऽत्मकार्येण स्वात्माभासतमोवधिः।
विशिष्टः ससृजे विष्णुस्तेजोबन्नादि मायया॥
vishNu delimited by the darkness in which consciousness is reflected,
endowed with his own product (hiraNyagarbha), creates the universe
consisting of fire, water and earth, using mAyA.

In Anandagiri AchArya's gloss, this somewhat complex verse is explained
thus:
स्वातमनश्चिद्धातोराभासो यत्र तेन तमसाऽवधिशब्दितोपाधिनोपहितः परः
सूत्राद्यात्मना स्वकार्येण विशिष्टः भूतभौतिकं जगदुत्पादितवानित्यर्थः ।
ब्रह्मा स्रष्टा पालयिता विष्णुरीशः संहर्तेत्यर्थभेदं परिहर्तुं
विष्णुरित्युक्तम् ।
The supreme one (parah), delimited by the darkness adjunct (denoted by the
word avadhi) - in which is reflected the consciousness self element -
endowed with His own product, the sUtrAtma, creates the universe consisting
of the elements and their products. The word viShNu is used in the verse to
negate any possible distinction such as Brahma is the creator, Vishnu is
the sustained and Shiva is the destroyer.

In the above passage - the supreme is nirguNa brahma. The supreme delimited
by darkness is Ishvara. Ishvara's product is sUtrAtma / hiraNyagarbha.

Two things can be discerned from this verse and its gloss -

One, even if creation happens through the medium of hiraNyagarbha
(sUtrAtma) who is the product of Ishvara, it is Ishvara who is the creator.

Two, the trimUrti-s are not three distinct entities. As there is an
apparent distinction in the functions of creation, preservation and
dissolution, the performer of the functions is sometimes spoken of as
though different. To avoid any value being placed on the notion that the
act of creation is performed by one deity, preservation by another deity,
destruction by another deity, the vArttikakAra uses the term viShNu.

Therefore, in my view, I think there is no  merit in seeking to separate
the trimUrti-s. I think it is perhaps better to say that it is the one
Ishvara who performs all functions, through the medium of the first born
sUtrAtma.

From that perspective, each of kailAsha, vaikunTha, brahmaloka etc can be
said to be really one satyaloka, to which all upAsaka-s go after their time
on earth comes to an end.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan