[Advaita-l] [advaitin] rAma-krishna-shiva-durga etc. are not same in shAstric vyavahAra!!!

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 01:38:54 EST 2023

On Mon, Feb 13, 2023 at 10:37 AM Kaushik Chevendra <
chevendrakaushik at gmail.com> wrote:

> Namaste sir.
>

>> Dear Raghav,
>>
>> Your post makes a lot of sense.  We have statements in the Bhashya such as
>> the person who has acquired the post of prajapati /Hiranyagarbha is stated
>> to have 'independent ability to create, sustain and withdraw'.
>

> This independence is only relative.

There is a problem here: Hiranyagarbha, the Lord of that 14th loka, where
saguna upasaka's go for krama mukti, is stated by Shankara in that Br.Up.
bhashya as the one who is independently capable of creation, etc. This H is
someone who has attained that status through upasana, and in that section
alone Shankara says about his capacity. And this loka is said to perish and
H along with others will *become* muktas. So, that H cannot be the Creator,
Sustainer and Destroyer. But Shankara says so. That is what is intriguing.
It requires a thorough study of the Bhashyas to reconcile this. We cannot
say that this independence is relative as H is not admitted anywhere to be
the sustainer, etc. Hence this problem. I have not got a convincing
solution to this so far.

Bhashya for Br.Up. mantra 1.4.1:

 ज्ञानकर्मभ्यां समुच्चिताभ्यां प्रजापतित्वप्राप्तिर्व्याख्याता ;
केवलप्राणदर्शनेन च — ‘तद्धैतल्लोकजिदेव’ इत्यादिना । प्रजापतेः फलभूतस्य
सृष्टिस्थितिसंहारेषु जगतः स्वातन्त्र्यादिविभूत्युपवर्णनेन
ज्ञानकर्मणोर्वैदिकयोः फलोत्कर्षो वर्णयितव्य इत्येवमर्थमारभ्यते । तेन च
कर्मकाण्डविहितज्ञानकर्मस्तुतिः कृता भवेत्सामर्थ्यात् ।

By resorting to samucchaya of jnana and karma Prajapati status is to be
attained. ....The fruit of that sadhana is Prajapati who is the cause of
the creation, sustenance and destruction of the world independently.  This
is one of the vibhutis of Prajapati.  This is in the section of the vaidika
jnana karma samucchaya.

How can Prajapati be endowed with the above stated capacity, which is
reserved for the nitya siddha Ishwara in the Brahma sutras?

regards
subbu