[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Re: Vasanas

Ganesh B ganesh.bala82 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 03:55:41 EST 2023

Namaste Chandramouli Ji

The scope of this discussion is actually very wide. I would like to just
present my observations below.

The Sadhana Chatushtaya Sampatti lists the various qualities one has to
acquire in order that one becomes eligible for Mahavakya Vichara.

It does not really specify how one ought to cultivate. Rather SCS is not a
method at all. It merely states that a साधनाचतुष्टय सम्पन्नः प्रमाता - is
an Adhikari.

Whereas Atma Vichara Marga as revealed by Ramana Maharshi is a method.

*It is, no doubt, said in some books that one should cultivate one quality
after another and thus prepare for ultimate moksha, but for those who
follow the jnana or vichara marga [the path of self-enquiry], their sadhana
is itself quite enough for acquiring all daivic [divine] qualities; they
need not do anything else.*
*(Day by Day with Bhagavan, 18th July, 1946)*

Traditionally after the Guru deems that a disciple is fit, only then does
he even begin to teach the Upanishads Mahavakya Vichara.

*Remarking to the others [Ganapati] Muni said, ‘The path of Self-knowledge
which Bhagavan teaches is so difficult even for the learned, and Bhagavan
advocated it to the poor villagers. I doubt whether they understood it and
still less whether they can practise it. If Bhagavan had advised them to
practise some puja or japa, that would have been more practical.’When this
was conveyed to Bhagavan, he commented, ‘What to do? This is what I know.
If a teaching is to be imparted according to the traditional way, one must
first see whether the recipient is qualified or not. Then puja, japa or
dhyana are prescribed step by step. Later the Guru says that this is all
only preliminary and one has to transcend all this. Finally, the ultimate
truth that “Brahman alone is real” is revealed and to realise this, the
direct path of self-enquiry is to be taught. Why this roundabout process?
Should we not state the ultimate truth and direct path at the beginning
itself rather than advocating many methods and rejecting them at the end?’*

But in the Vichara Marga as Revealed by Ramana Maharshi is all encompassing
- it is both means and the end as well.

Infact, through Atma Vichara, one can see for oneself in the mirror of the
values listed in the SCS. So Atma Vichara (Self Enquiry) is one among other
methods that is both the means for acquiring SCS as well as the end -
Atma-Sakashatkaram.

I do not see any conflict in practicing One's Swadharma Anushthanams along
with Atma Vichara as revealed by Bhagavan and also pursuing Mahavakya
Vichara with guidance from a Guru - all together.

Ultimately, it is an added advantage, is what I feel.

So there is no conflict with both - in the sense that following any method
whatsoever, SCS is sine qua non!

Namaskarams