[Advaita-l] Kaivalya Navaneetam | Shankarammal | Ramana Maharshi

Ganesh B ganesh.bala82 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 20:47:45 EST 2023

*Shankarammal*

There are no records of Sankarammal. We know that she was a child widow who
became a cook. All child widows in India were advised to think about God,
to read about God and to visit temples. Sankarammal was a brilliant girl.
She discovered for herself that to seek God meant to seek the truth because
although there are innumerable gods, there is only one universal truth.
This is what she felt even as a very young girl.

When in her teens, her brother, the only sympathetic and understanding
person in her house, introduced her to spiritual texts like Kaivalya
Navaneetam and Yoga Vasishta.

Sankarammal had never asked for anything in her life; she had never asked
even her brother for anything. It was at his behest that they visited the
various temples and sacred places. She had followed the dictates of Hindu
culture, which says that a sister must obey her brother. Now, for the very
first time in her life, she felt that she had to ask for something. She
told him, “Brother, please leave me here to serve my guru.” Sankarammal’s
brother understood her yearning to be with a guru and serve him. He at once
went to the ashram office. The sarvadhikari Chinna Swami was there looking
rather worried and discussing a serious matter with the members of the
ashram staff. They were saying that Santhammal the ashram cook was going
away from the ashram for some time. They were wondering who would do the
cooking with so many visitors around and with other VIPs also expected.
This was Bhagavan’s grace! When Sankarammal’s brother told Chinna Swami
that his sister wanted to stay in the ashram, he immediately asked, “Will
she cook?” Sankarammal joyously agreed and stayed on at Ramanasramam.

Sankarammal had many chances to remain in the vicinity of Bhagavan because
he often visited the kitchen. She was delighted because Bhagavan was the
fitting example of a jnani. His every movement was beautiful and perfect -
his look, his gait, his gestures, even the way in which he kept down a cup.
Sankarammal’s state had always been one of inner felicity, and she kept a
low profile. That is why her name is not mentioned in any of the records.
When the kitchen assistants were individually interviewed and photographed
by Chalam, she didn’t permit him.  It is however worth pointing out that
she remained in a state of perpetual joy, be it while attending to her work
or sitting quietly in a corner in the kitchen.  She was always in a state
of peace.

She said, “Bhagavan’s silence was his direct teaching. He taught Self
Enquiry to those who could not comprehend his silence; so Self Enquiry
actually takes a secondary place as far as his teaching is concerned. He
imparted his teaching of silence by his mere grace filled glance. This is
the look that Muruganar and others refer to as his glance of grace. There
was never a need to talk to Bhagavan. He made me mature gradually and
steadily. All of Bhagavan’s devotees extol Bhagavan’s look of grace;
however, even that look was an external expression of his inner silence.
Silence was the state of Bhagavan and his direct teaching was only through
silence. Those who received his message of silence had no need whatsoever
to talk to him, much less a need for his instructions.  How can I possibly
express in words the mysterious working of Bhagavan through silence?”

I was not prepared to leave her in peace. I was drawn towards her like an
iron filing to a magnet. I noticed that she was always tranquil and quiet.
She did a meticulous job in the kitchen and never stirred out of it. I was
insistent in my questioning. I always asked her, “What state are you in?
You are not in a state of samadhi because you are very active. You are open
eyed, yet in a state of silence. What is that state? Will you please tell
me?” Sankarammal was not only astute, but stern. She was totally lost in
her work. She did her work with great care and focus. She was never found
talking to anyone. These made others avoid her, but it had the reverse
effect on me. I was strongly drawn towards her. The more I became
acquainted with her, the more I came to hold her in high esteem. I was
convinced that she was an extraordinary person, and therefore I requested
her to tell me the secret of her perfect equipoise. After several
persistent efforts, she finally relented. She revealed,

“I was myself puzzled at this inner felicity that I have and which is
extolled in our scriptures. I was doubtful about this state because you see
I am an ordinary woman. The scriptures state that even sages and saints
perform penance for years before attaining this blissful state. I wondered,
am I really in that state?” Bogged down by such doubts, but unsure of whom
to ask, she waited for the opportune moment. One day, after breakfast, she
found herself alone with Bhagavan. She was pondering on how to find out
from him whether she was genuinely in that extraordinary, tranquil state.
But, how does one ask? A truly realized soul will not put forth questions
like, ‘Am I in that state of realization?’ As Sankarammal prostrated before
Bhagavan, she felt a verse of Kaivalya Navaneetam spring from within her.
The verse was the one in which the guru asks his disciple to come out with
what he has understood. The disciple addresses the guru with folded hands
thus:

ஐயனே !  எனதுள்ளே  நின்று அனந்த  ஜன்மங்கள்   எனைஆண்ட மெய்யனே ! உபதேசிக்க
வெளிவந்த
குருவே   போற்றி !
உய்யவே   முக்தி  நல்கும் உதவிக்கோர்   உதவி   நாயேன் !
செய்யுமாறு   ஒன்றும்  காணேன் திருவடி   போற்றி   போற்றி !

“Oh Lord, the Supreme Truth that ruled me from within for countless births;
who has taken the form of the Guru to guide me; my salutations to You. *I
see no way to recompense your grace that has led me to liberation. I offer
my salutations at Your Feet, over and over again!*”

When she recited this verse, Bhagavan looked at her with compassion and
said,

" ஏன்?  அதற்கு அடுத்த   பாடலிலேயே சிஷ்யன்  செய்யவேண்டிய கைம்மாறும்   உள்ளதே
!" எனக் கூறி   அவ்விடம்  விட்டு அகன்றார்.

Bhagavan replied instantaneously, "Why! The next verse itself is self
explanatory about how the disciple is to repay the favour!” Stating this,
He moved on.

சிட்டன்   இவ்வாறு  கூற  தேசிகர் மகிழ்ந்து   நோக்கி
கிட்டவா   என  இருத்தி கிருபையோடு   அருளிச் செய்வார்
துட்டமாம்   தடைகள்   மூன்றும்
தொடராமல்  சொரூப  ஞான
நிட்டனாய்  இருக்கு  னீதே   நீ   செய்யும்  உதவியாமே.

The next verse says that -
On hearing the disciple speak these words, the Desika/Guru becomes
overjoyed, and summons him close to Himself. With compassion He says, “*To
be untouched/untainted by the triad of obstacles, and to remain firmly
established in the knowledge of the Self is the biggest favour you can
possibly do me”*

Sankarammal looked at Bhagavan, and Bhagavan again looked at her steadily
for a few minutes. Sankarammal’s eyes were teeming with tears as she
repeatedly prostrated before him.

Excepts from
*Ramana Periya Puranam*
V Ganesan.