[Advaita-l] Shri G.R.Patil's efforts remembered

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 19:17:20 EDT 2023

Shri Natraj Maneshinde writes:

On this day of Shri Vidyaranya Mahaswamiji’s Jayanti, it would be a grave
mistake if we fail to express our gratitude to Shri G R Patil ji of
Dharwad.

For ages, the Maadhvas were vehemently spreading false stories of their
Akshobhya Teertha Swamiji defeating Shri Vidyaranya Mahaswamiji in a
debate. Even in recent times, one can see their Mathadhipatis referring to
Vidyaranya Swamiji in ekavachana. In such a scenario, Shri G R Patil ji of
Dharwad, a humble shishya of Brahmshri Bhalachandra Shastri ji, took upon
the rigorous task of conducting a thorough research on this topic and
thereby demonstrating that such stories are mere hollow fables and there is
no historicity in them. Patil ji’s efforts have materlized in the form of
three books : Akshobhya Vijaya Vibhrama, Akshepa Nirasa and Vidyaranya
Vijaya dundhubi. On reading these books, one cannot help appreciate Patil
ji’s research skills and shraddha towards the sampradaya. Owing to these
books, the false propaganda from the Maadhvas has received a severe blow.
In the latest discussion held in one of the Maadhva mathas, a couple of
Maadhva scholars themselves expressed their doubts on the authenticity of
the ‘vijayasthamba’ at Mulbagal and whether the Vidyaranya that their
Akshobhya tirtha debated was actually the Advaitian Acharya or somebody
else.

I have been extremely fortunate to have several in-person interactions with
Shri Patil ji. Everytime, I have been amazed to behold his humility,
kindness, enthusiasm for research (even at such a ripe age) and selfless
zeal for serving the Sampradaya. It is my humble opinion that every Smarta
must strive to inculcate these qualities to pay our debts that we owe to
our Acharyas.

All glory to Shri Bhalachandra Shastripada for forging such an invaluable
asset to the tradition in the form of Shri Patil ji.