[Advaita-l] nRsimha karAvalamba stotraM too many significantly different versions problem

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Apr 26 01:09:22 EDT 2023

On Thu, 13 Apr 2023, Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l wrote:

> Namaste All
> The nRsimha karAvalamba stotraM is said to have been composed by Sri
> Shankara BhagavatpAda. Even if a later pontiff of the Sringeri Matha
> composed it, it remains a popular and significant hymn.
>
> However there are too many variants with significant divergence not just in
> a few words here and there, which can be ignored as pAThAntara but in even
> the size of the hymn itself.
>
> If someone is aware of something like a critical version of the same,
> kindly share it. This has been a source of some doubt since years and any
> input is appreciated.

I would treat the versions in Vani Vilas or Dakshinamurti Math works as
authoritative but these are not critical editions as far as I know (In
fact I'm not sure they don't differ between them.)

As far as I know, there isn't a critical edition of this stotra.  This
might be a good research project for one of our academic-minded readers.