[Advaita-l] Shankaracharyas' grhastha followers

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Apr 26 01:01:10 EDT 2023

[Was Re: [Advaita-l] Fwd: Global Festival of Oneness | GFO2023]

If you're changing the topic, please change the subject line accordingly]

On Sat, 22 Apr 2023, Avik M via Advaita-l wrote:

> Did Adi Shankaracharya have many lay followers during his time?

By lay followers I assume you mean non-sannyasis in other words grhasthas
is this correct?  In the digvijaya genre of works, some
kings etc. are shown as followers of Shankaracharya but it is
not clear how much of that accurately reflects historical
reality.  Shankaracharya primararily addresses sannyasis in his major
works, only in the Gitabhashya is there extensive discussion of what kind
of Vedantic practice a grhastha can do.  The answer is karmayoga which is
the diligent performance of ones' svadharma without worldly motive but
purely as duty and a sacrifice to Bhagavan.  So potentially all the lakhs
of astikas of that era may have been karmayogis but we can't really say
for sure.

The first prominent Advaitin I can think of who was a grhastha is the
great Vachaspati Mishra but he flourished atleast two generations after
Shankaracharya.  And even he lived a very ascetic lifestyle.  (The story
behind why his tika on brahamasutrabhashya is called Bhamati is that it
was the name of his wife who was grieved because their celibate life ment
they had no children.  Vachaspati assured her memory would live on due to
his book.)