[Advaita-l] looking for a comparative study on these two topics

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 05:01:24 EDT 2023

Namaste.

The difference between pot-clay and rope-snake illustrations is broughtout
in your note itself.

//  kArya, are mere names, and the upAdAna kAraNam in the effects alone is
satyam  //

//  This is akin to the rope-snake, where the superimposed snake has no
existence separate from the substratum rope  //.

In the first case, kArya, pot, has clay as the upAdAna kAraNam. In the
second case, snake does not have rope as its upAdAna kAraNam. Snake is a
superimposition on the substratum, rope.  The two are entirely different.
The two are not  **akin**.

Reg  //  The word 'bhrAntyA pashyati' applies to all the three things
stated there: clay-pot, shell-silver and Brahman-jivatvam //,

Yes. But the nature of bhrAnti is different in the three cases. This
bhranti  is not removed by bAdha in all cases of bhrAnti. That bAdha is
what is under discussion not bhrAnti per se. In pot-clay illustration,
understanding kArya (pot) to be different from its kAraNa (clay)  is
bhrAnti. But it is admitted that kAraNa (clay) is different from its kArya
(pot). Pot is no doubt same as clay. But clay is not same as pot. Hence
this bhrAnti is not removed by bAdha. Were it to be so, bAdha (negation) of
pot would automatically mean bAdha (negation) of clay as well, because pot
is nondifferent from clay. BhrAnti in this case is to be removed by laya of
kArya (pot)  in  karaNa (clay). That is,  understanding pot to be
nondifferent from clay. That is laya in this instance. It is an
understanding. It does not  deny existence of pot. ** one no longer sees a
pot in clay ** is not exactly correct. We all continue to see pot and make
use of it as well. In fact for uses where clay itself is not useful In its
form say  as a lump of clay.
Regards