[Advaita-l] looking for a comparative study on these two topics

Vikram Jagannathan vikkyjagan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 00:42:01 EDT 2023

…. contd …..

>> Let me clarify this further.

Before we look at further illustrations of your question, here are 2 simple
rules of thumb in Advaita:

Rule1: Experience: Any experience / knowledge (prama) that involves the
distinction of the triputi - experiencer / knower / subject (pramatru /
pramata), experienced / known / object (prameya) and the means of
experience / knowledge (pramana) is at best vyavaharika only.

Rule 2: Activity: Any activity - bodily actions or sensory perceptions or
mental emotions or intellectual thoughts - is at best vyavaharika only.

Armed with these rules, let’s evaluate your examples:

>> If someone says he had an experience of a deity and such a deity
appeared in front of him and gave him some ananda or bliss right here. Is
this in the same level of reality as experiencing some other experience
like flying or bungy jumping which is supposed to give some kind of a kick?

In these examples, there is clearly a distinction of a ‘person’
(worshipper) and the ‘deity’ (worshipped) or a ‘person’ experiencing some
‘ananda’ as a mental  emotion. This is similar to a ‘person’ ‘flying’ or
‘jumping’ as a bodily action and experiencing some ‘kick’ as a mental
emotion.

>> In other words are there different levels of reality ascribed to
different experiences which are somewhat spiritual right here in this
world: for example, Thiru jnana Sambandar it seems was fed milk by divine
mother Parvati.

Based on the above rules, any experience (secular or spiritual) involving
any distinction whatsoever is only at best vyavaharika. The experience and
cognition of ‘this world’ is itself vyavaharika. So is the experience of
Thiru jnana Sambandar with Mother Parvati.

>> Is that experience as unreal as any other experience here (within the
sphere of relative reality)?

Now, the term ‘unreal’ is again subject to severe misunderstanding. Going
with Sanskrit words, if the intention is to question whether that
experience is mithya, then yes, it is as mithya as any other experience in
vyavaharika realm. But a deeper Advaitic point is that any and all
experiences are considered as real within their respective context. Even
the knowledge of a snake instead of a rope is definitely considered real
from the experiencer’s standpoint until it is later sublated by the
knowledge of the rope. This is included in the categorization of mithya.

>> Is the experience of Saguna brahman in some way,  and the experience of
a good movie here, at the same level of reality? (relatively real but
absolutely unreal? or non existing like an imaginary snake superimposed on
a rope?)

Firstly, the experience of a movie (as a movie) is vyavaharika too. It is
only when the movie is assumed to be ‘actual or real’ that it takes the
form of pratibhasika. Thus, the experience of Saguna Brahman is similarly
vyavaharika.

Secondly, the ‘imaginary snake’ is not non-existing (asat) because
otherwise it could not have been experienced. The imaginary snake is only
mithya. From the standpoint of the experiencer, the experience of the snake
(instead of a rope) is exactly as real as the experience of an actual
snake. The realization of its mithyatva is only on the realization of the
rope (and corresponding sublation of the snake knowledge).

Thirdly, per Advaita, any experience of Saguna Brahman is not a
hallucination or illusory or pratibhasika. There are several references in
our scriptures of perceiving Saguna Brahman / Isvara through direct sense
perceptions or mental intuitions or intellectual recognitions. All these
are definitely vyavaharika.

Though not part of the question, but quite relevant, fourthly, as you are
well aware, the concept of Saguna & Nirguna Brahman is quite deeper than
what it is typically taken. Brahman is one alone and not two. It is not
that attaining Saguna Brahman is different from or leads to attaining a
different Nirguna Brahman. Brahman is one and the same. Saguna or Nirguna
is only the perspective of the attainer.  To further explain, the
experience of Saguna Brahman or the realization (no longer an experience)
of Nirguna Brahman, refers to one and the same entity Brahman. Whether the
Brahman is Saguna, is not based on Brahman itself, but only (and purely)
based on the subjective person (the experiencer). When the experiencer
experiences Brahman through the antahkarana, the experience is of Brahman
with qualities - Saguna Brahman; the qualities being superimposed due to
antahkarana. Nirguna Brahman is a description of the realization of Brahman
transcending any individuality or antahkarana.

Lastly, perceiving Saguna Brahman - Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva - as distinct
aspects, with distinctions in name / form / function is indeed vyavaharika.
In an over-simplifying example, perceiving a ring, chain and bangle as
distinct pieces of jewelry, with different name, form, function is like
perceiving Saguna Brahman. On the other hand, realizing them all as only
gold is realization of Nirguna Brahman.

I respectfully defer the more formal / technical aspects to other respected
members and erudite scholars of Sanskrit & Advaita.

with humble prostrations,
Vikram