[Advaita-l] veda saMhita - pada vibhAga

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Sep 22 02:40:00 EDT 2022

On Thu, 22 Sep 2022, Bhaskar YR via Advaita-l wrote:

> My doubt is :  who did the pada vibhAga of veda saMhita portion??
> Is it  done by vEdavyAsa who did the segregation of veda-s??

If I remember correctly, the Rk Samhitas' pada patha was by Shakalya who
was a contemporary of or slightly older than Panini.  He did the
Taittiriya pada patha too and the Vajasaneyi pada patha is by Katyayana
the vartiikakara.  I'm not sure about the other shakas.

> any stipulated
> rules (grammar rules) for doing pada ccheda which is the basis for
> chanting the saMhita mantra-s in krama, jata, ghana pATa pattern??

Vyakarana literally means padachheda.  The formation of the pada patha
was the first acheivement of the vaiyakaranas and many sutras of Panini
deal the rules although in a general way.  For specific shakhas there are
more specialized texts called pratishakhyas.  The vedanga shiksha (many
texts by various authours) is also important for this.