[Advaita-l] Who is Keshava? A Vaishnava-unfriendly sublime insight

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 03:27:38 EST 2022

Here is an excerpt:

https://rsachi.blogspot.com/2016/06/shiva-hari-god-all-one-and-same.html?fbclid=IwAR2oHWTAkmwPFAqqP1Z2tLzxDtiPckVu-ZK8gtZckZhlT5B_C4cDTEhP1qw

Tuesday, June 28, 2016
Shiva, Hari, God - all one and the same
My late father (1911-1993), Prof. S. S. Raghavachar of Mysore University,
was a delegate and speaker at the World Conference of Religions conducted
in 1963 by Prof. T.M.P. Mahadevan of Madras University. With hundreds of
delegates from around the world, the conference was commemorating the birth
centenary of Swami Vivekananda, who took the message to the World
Parliament of Religions in Chicago in 1893 that all religions basically
lead to the one truth or God.

The delegates were taken for an audience with Kanchi Paramacharya at the
end of the conference. While giving his benediction, Paramcharya asked the
audience, "is the there any textual mention or inscription in Hinduism
predating Swami Vivekananda and Ramakrishna  which stated that the worship
of different conceptions of God all lead to the same Reality?" My father
Prof. Raghavachar rose and quoted an inscription from the Belur temple in
Karnataka built by Vishnuvardhana, a disciple of Sri Ramanujacharya in the
11/12th C CE, which states:

* yam shaivah samupasate shiva iti brahmeti vedantinah*
*bauddhah buddha iti pramanapatavah karteti naiyayikah*
*arhan ityatha jaina-shasana-ratah karmeti mimansakah*
*so yam vo vidhadhatu vanchita phalam trailokyanatho harih*

It seems that Paramacharya was immensely pleased with this answer and
felicitated my father.

Recently, to find out more, I dug a little into the available textual
references to this shloka. I give you three excellent references:
1. Dr. S. Radhakrishnan, 1926
2. H. Nakamura, 1983
3. C.P. Bhatta, 1994

See the images pertaining to the above three authorities here: