[Advaita-l] Paul Hacker on Avidya in Brahma Sutras

Vinodh vinodh.iitm at gmail.com
Sat May 28 01:24:01 EDT 2022

Sri Michael,

I did not quite follow the last statement. What does it mean for Ishwara’s
maya to survive the fall of avidya?

My understanding is that ignorance (avidya) leads to maya (illusion). Not
knowing the truth results in seeing something other than the truth. Like
snake instead of rope, silver in conch shell, water in desert, etc. Once
the ignorance is gone and the truth is realized the maya doesn’t exist
anymore. Therefore when avidya falls maya should also cease to be
perceived. The only delay that is mentioned in the sruti (Chandyogya Up) is
that with respect to the prarabdha karma because of which this body and
mind has taken this birth (taavad eva chiram yaavad na vimokshye). Upon
fall of the body and mind, the maya ceases to exist for the jnani.

Since, in the case at hand, we are talking about iss as Ishwara’s maya, the
jnani is ishwara himself. Perhaps, for Ishwara, who is already a jnani (as
he does not have avidya), the delay extends infinitely because his
prarabdha is the sum total of the karmas of all jivas. And this is why the
conventional view holds that his maya persists despite him not having
avidya. Just thinking out loud based on the chandyoga sruti vaakya…