[Advaita-l] HAPPINESS LIES IN THE ELIMINATION OF EGO

Prashant Parikh prashantparikh at gmail.com
Wed May 25 08:55:44 EDT 2022

HariH om,

That would seem to be an erroneous conclusion. Firstly I don't believe the
goal of Vedanta is to seek happiness by any stretch. It is to eliminate the
fundamental human problem of taking oneself to be a limited entity, through
the attainment of self knowledge, operating the shAstra as a shabda
pramana, and unfolded by a sampradayavit. The outcome here isn't happiness,
which is always in degrees (happy, very happy, ecstatic etc are but modes
of the antahkarana), but freedom through the dissociation with upAdhis, and
the sarvatma buddhi that accompanies the rise of knowledge.

Furthermore the ahankara doesn't need to be eliminated to attain mukti. It
needs to be sublated. The ahankara that identified with the upadhi would
then identify with satyam jnanam anantam brahma. The distinction between
badhita and abadhita ahankara essentially.

The above views are held valid per the sampradaya, and even by Pujya Swami
Dayananda ji (who was Sw. Sukhabodhananda ji's teacher).

Corporate Vedanta or, if I may say bluntly, the watering down of Vedanta
for "accessibility and ease" often gives the notion of learning. And yes,
no doubt some qualities are cultivated, such as humility, shraddha, bhakti
etc toward the Guru and teachings, which will give "relative happiness",
but the jnana tends to be in virodh to the actual teaching and may become a
major impediment to the pursuit.

HariH om

On Tue, May 24, 2022, 10:56 PM KAMESWARARAO MULA via Advaita-l <