[Advaita-l] Paul Hacker on Avidya in Brahma Sutras

Michael Chandra Cohen michaelchandra108 at gmail.com
Mon May 23 13:32:29 EDT 2022

Dear Venkatraghavan, Namaste.

My response can refer to your comment, "These essentially correspond to
paramArtha sat and vyAvahArika sat respectively."  Terminology is
questionable, i,e,. vyAvahArika 'sat'. The implication of bhavarupa leads
to the consequence of taking vyAvahAra as some kind of 'sat' which enables
categories of 'absence' and 'presence'. My earlier comment questions the
status of vyAvahAra as 'sat' rather than asat or adhyasa.

The same reasoning applies to the earlier topic of efficient and material
causation. I provided the link to section 131 to highlight SSS's
clarification,
"And again, the strict Advaitin accepts (according to the opponent) that
absence of knowledge is the root-Ignorance causing wrong knowledge, and
that wrong knowledge arises from it. In this \vay he accepts that the
existent arises from the non-existent, which contrad~cts received canons of
knowledge. Nor can he claim that he does not teach the rise of being from
non-being by saying that superimposition is a modification of the mind, and
has the mind for its material cause. For the mind itself presupposes a
material cause, and the demand for a first cause cannot on this basis be
satisfied. So, because the strict Advaitin cannot account either for an
efficient or for a material cause of Ignorance, his whole system is faulty.
But all this argument only arises from 'ignorance'. We do not admit that
Ignorance is either the efficient or the material cause of the world, since
it has no real existence at all." Heart of Sri Samkara p135

The passage continues to declare Maya as the apparency of the world as per
Gaudapada, 'The real can undergo production through illusion, but not in
truth. He who holds that such production is real affirms (absurdly) that
that which has already been produced undergoes production' (G.K. 3.27) '