[Advaita-l] Paul Hacker on Avidya in Brahma Sutras

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Fri May 20 09:06:09 EDT 2022

Sir,
The absence of a thing cannot be the cause for anything. Shankara himself
has said that in many places - please see the Bhagavat Gita bhAShya where
he dismisses the notion that a failure to perform nitya karma is the cause
for the production of pratyavAya pApa.

To say that an epistemological agrahaNa produces an effect is putting the
cart before the horse - we are trying to determine whether ignorance is an
epistemological agrahaNa or an ontological AvaraNa. Only when that is
determined can we cite that as an illustration for a non-existent cause
having the capacity to produce an existent effect.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan