[Advaita-l] Paul Hacker on Avidya in Brahma Sutras

Michael Chandra Cohen michaelchandra108 at gmail.com
Wed May 18 18:04:36 EDT 2022

Chandramouli Sir, It is agreed by all that Upadesha Sahasri is a work of
Bhagavat Pujya. The one Sureswara reference you cited was discounted by SSS
in my last correspondence. Sureswara's reference to US18.47 is translated
by Alston in a manner not consistent with bhavarupa avidya - footnote
included:

rajju-sarpo yatha rajjva satmakah prag vivekatah avastu sann api hy esa
kutasthenatmana tatha
"[46] Just as the rope-snake, (though unreal), possesses being by virtue of
the rope until it is discriminated from it, so also does the (complex of)
the Self, receptacle and reflection (possess being) by virtue of the
changeless Self (until it is discriminated from it).1"

fn1 The words ‘Self, receptacle and reflection’ have been drawn in from the
following verse according to the interpretation of the present verse given
by Svami Satchidanandendra in The Method of the Vedanta (London, 1989),
p.335 and p.432.