[Advaita-l] Paul Hacker on Avidya in Brahma Sutras

Michael Chandra Cohen michaelchandra108 at gmail.com
Wed May 18 09:34:39 EDT 2022

Pranam Sri Chandramouli,

One of things I've learned from this paper is the degree that
Sureswaracharya differs from Bhasyakara. That opposes SSS's position of
Sankara and Sureswara siddhanta parampara - I invite comments from SSS
devotees.

Though I have not consulted the Vartika reference to "apparent existence
(bhAvarUpa)" it seems to me one reference doesn't make a case to contradict
Hacker's conclusion when there is substantial support otherwise. Below is
SSS on the Vartika reference.

" Wherever in the Vartika there is a reference to  Ignorance as a material
cause, this is predicated of Ignorance considered as having assumed its
form as the non-conscious Un¬ manifest Principle. It is not a reference to
it in its own characteristic nature as confusion. For the whole conception
of cause arid effect is only mentioned in the Vdrtika at all to show that
it is created by Ignorance. From the standpoint of practical experience, on
the other hand, causality can be ac¬ cepted wherever it is found. (SSS,
Method of the Vedanta, p335 "

You may also wish to peruse the text below by a close student of SSS on
this topic:
http://www.adhyatmaprakasha.org/php/english/english_books_toc.php?book_id=048&type=english&book_title=Teaching+of+Brahman+through+the+Attributions+of+Avidya+and+Maya

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 8:38 AM H S Chandramouli via Advaita-l <