[Advaita-l] Paul Hacker on Avidya in Brahma Sutras

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 10:29:28 EDT 2022

Namaste Sri Michael

Thank you for your posts about an interesting topic.

I was only drawing attention to two important but contextual facts viz.,

1. Hacker was an ardent adherent to Christian theology which is
emphatically dualistic and focusses on a universal affliction called sin
which resides in every human mind whose remedy is salvation through the
Church.

2. He was keen to establish that avidyA is only an affliction of the mind
and had its locus in the mind rather than the very cause of the mind
itself.  His arguments are interesting and he tries to draw on Shankara and
shows correspondence with Patanjali's Sutra on avidyA being a kleSha or
affliction of the mind.

(Thus by negating the ontological connotation of avidyA, he could
presumably show how Christian theology subsumes or 'digests' much of what
Advaita asserts. This is my assessment of the direction of his thesis. )

3. The overwhelming consensus for 1200 years of the Advaita tradition went
against his understanding. So he tries to prove that Padmapada himself
diverged from Sri Shankara etc.

On Tue, 17 May, 2022, 5:27 pm Michael Chandra Cohen via Advaita-l, <

> Namaste Sri Raghav,
>
> Thanks for sharing this study of Hacker. The paper does not criticize
> Hacker's enumeration of avidya usage. Hacker is simply providing evidence -
> eurocentrism, whether true or not, is of little consequence.

It's consequential for many students of Advaita because when we are
informed of the underlying Christian theological framework and motivations
of Hacker etc., it's like bringing in some daylight as a disinfectant. For
example students of Sri SSS would not endorse Hacker once they understand
his motivations.

 If we scour the bhAShya for instances of adhyAsa being used
interchangeably with avidyA, you would surely find some. And then words
like "avidyAtmikA hi bIjashaktiH" indicating the causal nature of avidyA
vis-a-vis adhyAsa go against Hacker etc. Which of these two "versions" of
avidyA are authoritative (i.e., which statement of bhAShya supercedes the
other statement in bhAShya)  would then depend on whether we choose to
understand the bhaShya through the Advaita paramparA which has already
considered and reconciled these multiple references to avidyA and adhyAsa,
or we choose to reach our own conclusions about bhAshya independently.

For example, as Sri Venkatraghavan ji indicated that the non-ending of
samsara would result if the upAdAna of the world experience is not avidyA.
Also a trivial tautological connotation would result if we interpret BSB
references like " itaretarAvivekena....mithyAjnAna-nimittaH " as 'mithyA
jnAna nimittah', assuming Hacker's notion that avidyA is not causal w.r.t.
adhyAsa.

  For instance,
> Hacker states,
>
> "If follows from what has been discussed up to this point that S. does not
> materialize avidyA. As a result the adjective jada, which is constantly
> added to avidyA from PadmapAda onward ... is missing in S. Moreover, the
> epithet *bhavarupa, *which can be found in Advaita texts from JnAnottama
> onward, is missing"
>

> There is nothing Eurocentric in that passage but yet it is key to
> understanding Sankara's teaching.

Sri Venkatraghavan ji and others have already pointed out the problems with
the above interpretation of Sri Shankara.

Om
Raghav