[Advaita-l] Paul Hacker on Avidya in Brahma Sutras

K Kathirasan brahmasatyam at gmail.com
Tue May 17 08:39:54 EDT 2022

Namaste,

When discussing avidya, we cannot disregard Shankara’s attempt to define it systematically at 3 instances in his Bhashya-s:

Brahma Sutra Bhashya, 13.2 - ajñāna saṃśaya viparyaya
Brhadaranyaka Upanishad Bhashya, 3.3.1 - jñānābhāvo yadi saṃśayajñānaṃ yadi viparītajñānaṃ
Bhagavad Gita Bhashya, 13.2 - viparīta-grāhakau saṃśayopasthāpako vā agrahanātmako vā

The above descriptions show a systematic consistency in the way Shankara has described avidya. This consistency corresponds to the functions of shravana, manana and nididhyasana as well i.e. shravana tackles the absence of knowledge, mañana - doubts, nididhyasana - deep seated misconceptions.

I am sharing this with all of you with no intention to deepen the polarised views, but in the spirit of expanding our own perspectives on avidya.

Kathirasan K