[Advaita-l] Agastya bhrata

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 16 12:23:33 EDT 2022

More than name, it is to do with fame. The brother of P V Narasimha Rao may be known to someone by name, but he would remain an AgastyabhrAtA.
This has been later continued in Telugu literature, for instance the character called Nigama Sarma akka (didi, elder sister) in Tenali Ramakrishna's Panduranga Mahaatmyam. Only in this instance, the sister is a model woman and Nigama Sarma is a good-for-nothing bloke, like Ajamila of Bhagavatam.
Regards N Siva Senani

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Wed, 15 Jun 2022 at 1:00 pm, Jaldhar H. Vyas via Advaita-l<advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:   One more thing about the Ramayana translation I did.  In Aranyakanda part
2, I mentioned how Shri Rama visited the ashrama of Maharshi Agastya's
brother but the text doesn't mention this brothers name.  During my
research I came across a blog where the author said that in Telugu, if you
want to politely refer to someone whose name you don't know or have
forgotten, you address them as "agastya bhrata"  Any Telugu speakers care
to comment?