[Advaita-l] vedAnta mahAvAkya - A query

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 14:05:33 EDT 2022

Namaste,

What is the issue with some sentences being vyAvahArika tattvAvedaka and
others being pAramArthika tattvAvedaka?

We don't say that there is tAratamyatA in the sentences or their prAmANya.
However, there is taratamyatA in the satyatva of their viShaya.

Just because some sentences will not reveal a pAramArthika vastu, it does
not mean that their prAmANya is lost - because the sentences that reveal
vyAvahArika things do not set out to reveal them as pAramArthika or
vyAvahArika at all.

For example, vidhivAkya like jyotiShTomena svargakAmo yajeta, reveals kArya
kAraNa sambandha in jyotiShToma yAga anuShThAna and svargaphala. That
kAryakAraNa sambandha is not being denied by the advaitin. The sentence
does not set out to prove that such a sambandha is traikAlika abAdhya, for
anyone to argue that because the advaitin does not confer it with
pAramArthikatva, the vAkya loses its prAmANya.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On Thu, 28 Jul 2022, 07:20 Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l, <