[Advaita-l] vedAnta mahAvAkya - A query

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 04:55:26 EDT 2022

Namaste
This argument is not appropriate - what advaitin-s argue is that the
prAmANya of the Veda is in revealing the tAtparya viShaya.

That aikya is the mukhyatAtparya can be established by the sixfold tAtparya
linga-s. Therefore sentences that reveal that aikya have prAmANya.

By saying that much where is the prAmANya of avAntaravAkya denied? They
have tAtparya in avAntara viShaya like revealing karma etc.

The classification of Vedic sentences into mahAvAkya and avAntaravAkya is
not to imply that only the former has prAmANya and the latter does not. It
is to imply that the former is revealing the mukhyatAtparya and the latter
is revealing the avAntaratAtparya.

This is not a case where advaitin-s become bheda vAdin-s and dvaitin-s
become abheda vAdin-s.

What the dvaitin-s argue is that mahAvaakya sentences should give up their
primary meaning of revealing aikya, because they are in conflict with those
Vedic sentences that talk of bheda. We do not agree that they are in
conflict at all. We say the mukhyatAtparya is talking of a pAramArthika
vastu and sentences talking of bheda are talking of vyAvahArika bheda - and
the pAramArthika satya can coexist with vyAvahArika satya. Thus, in the
advaitin's interpretation, both types of sentences have sAvakAshatva, scope
of application, whereas the dvaitin's interpretation will require that the
mukhyatAtparya is renounced.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022, 09:21 Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l, <