[Advaita-l] Bajanai sambradayam

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Jul 22 03:06:38 EDT 2022

On Thu, 21 Jul 2022, Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l wrote:

> The 12th chapter of Gita recommends Bhakti marga.

It does not.  The word marga does not occur anywhere in that adhyaya.
There is only karma informed by bhakti and jnana informed by bhakti.

Krishna Bhagavan does not want Arjuna to sing "La la la Krishna is so
great!  Hooray for Krishna!"  He wants Arjuna to have faith in Him so
Arjuna will follow His instruction, take up his bow and arrows and kill
the enemy.

> By practice of Bhakti the
> devotees will get Chitta Suddhi and gain eligibility for Jnana. They do not
> have to put difficult effort like the people contemplating on Akshara
> Brahman. Ishwara will lift the devotees out of Samsara quickly. This is
> Krishna’s promise in the Gita.
>
> If Bhakti is pure and Death comes before Jnana the devotee will go to
> Brahma Loka. There he will get Jnana and Moksha.
>
> Therefore there are two paths for the same goal - one extremely difficult
> and other easy. A wise person will choose the easy path.

The point of shloka 5 is only that focusing on an nirguna form of Brahman
is hard because we are embodied beings.  Therefore we find it easier to
deal with a saguna murti than an abstraction.  We have to remove that
attachment to the body and that is hard for an embodied being.  It is only
in that sense that meditating on a form of Bhagavan with devotion is
easier.

But easier doesn't mean easy.  Krishna Bhagavan describes saguna upasana
as:

mayyeva mana Adhatsva mayi buddhiM niveshaya |
nivasiShyasi mayyeva ata UrdhvaM na saMshayaH ||12|6||

"Fix your mind on Me alone.  Think only of Me.  Without a doubt you will
live only in Me from then on."

Maybe 1 in 10,000 would-be bhaktas has that kind of fortitude.

It goes on to say if that fixation cannot be achieved, one should
repeatedly practice until it is possible. (shloka 7)  If one is unable to
achieve even this one should at least act according to dharma and offer up
those actions as service to Bhagavan.  (shloka 8.)  Even for the leeast
competent bhakta, the practice of ones svadharma is a must.  In no way can
singing songs be a substitute.  An enhancement yes but not a replacement.

We do people a disservice by claiming this is easy and this is hard
without knowing them thoroughly first.  And they above all need to know
themselves and be honest with themselves about their capabilities.