[Advaita-l] Binary nature of Jnana

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 13:31:53 EDT 2022

Namaste Chandramouli ji,

I understand where you are coming from.

I don't have the summary made by the student of Swami Paramarthananda ji,
but from memory of what Swamiji taught in his classes, the text essentially
holds that mahAvAkya jnAnam intrinsically gives rise to aparoksha jnAna.
That is what the snippet below also says - ata eva
mahAvAkyenAvyavahitapratyagbrahmAparokShaj~nAnameva  jAyate, na tu
parokShamiti

Because of certain obstacles present in the student, even after hearing the
mahAvAkya he feels that he is still an ajnAni. Therefore the sAdhana for
him is to keep repeating shravaNAdi until he gets the conviction that he is
Brahman.

The text does not stipulate that the mahAvAkya must be heard once again
after the obstacles are removed. Nor does it say that the mahAvAkya should
not be heard again.

This is where a possible inference can be made - In certain cases, the
student may require the guru to speak the mahAvAkya once again. In other
cases, the student may not, a recollection of the previously heard
mahAvAkya may be enough.

I think this is where you differ - I believe, based on the below (pasting
what you had said earlier), you are saying that the mahAvAkya has to be
once again physically heard:

"SMN have to be practiced together over and over till Realization which
takes place only during Shravana, on the utterance of the MahAvAkya
(forming part of Shravana) by the Guru *after* Manana and NididhyAsana help
in refining the mind to enable such Realization to take place, even though
the sAdhaka  might have  heard the MahAvAkya from the Guru earlier."

The bhAShya portion you had quoted did not make this explicit requirement,
but I may have missed it.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan