[Advaita-l] Functions of the mind

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 06:07:04 EDT 2022

Namaste Jaldharji,

On Fri, Jul 8, 2022 at 11:53 AM Jaldhar H. Vyas via Advaita-l <

> O The texts
> of Vedanta are in Sanskrit.  The puranas and akhyanas about Govinda are in
> Sanskrit.  (Mohamudgara says geyam gitam nama sahasrama.  Which language
> are Bhagavadgita and Vishnu Sahasranama in?)
>
> Where we part company with the rationalists is that we believe the
> ultimate knowledge of Brahman is beyond words and concepts.  But up till
> then, let us not throw out the baby with the bathwater and deny the
> important tool of intellect.

Undoubtedly so. vyAkaraNaM mukhaM smRtam (vedasya). I felt that my
understanding of Vedanta improved drastically, as though the shAstras talk
to me, after I learnt vyAkaraNa! No translation really can do complete
justice to the original. On a related note, I recall a discussion about
Sanskrit so: samyak kRtaM =saMskRtam, where its samyaktA is that the words
result in puNya on listening/ uttering.

Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That, owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */