[Advaita-l] Rtam and Satyam

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Jul 8 02:40:38 EDT 2022

On Fri, 1 Jul 2022, Anand N via Advaita-l wrote:

> Subbuji gave an example where Satyam is the practical aspect and Rtam is
> the potential aspect of truth.
> Are these not contradictory?
> Could anyone please clarify.

To get some idea of the concept of Rta, let us look at derivative words
from various languages.

In most Indian languages Rtu means season of the year or a womans'
menstrual period.  In English (derived from Latin I believe) rights are
inherant privileges of a person (i.e. civil rights or human rights.)  In
Gujarati and possibly other languages if we talk of reet-rivaj we are
talking about customs or traditions.  This overlaps with English rite or
ritual.  Or we say in Gujarati e.g. mithai banawani reet "method or recipe
for making sweets"

So I would translate rta as "cosmic order".  The universe is not chaos; it
has a meaning and purpose and fixed laws which are understood through
dharma.  This is the truth so rta is satya.