[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Re: Paul Hacker on avidyA

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 11:53:25 EST 2022

Namaste
I was surprised to see Paul Hacker being considered a sound resource person
for discussions on avidyA being (yatkincit) bhAvarUpA etc. The reason is
that Hacker completely dismisses GaudapAda and also Shankara's commentaries
on mANDUkya and the rest. He only cherry-picks passages from BSB that suit
his agenda and considers Advaita as Buddhism in disguise. So much for his
extensive study of BSB.

We observe that

1.  there are several passages from shankara bhAShya attesting to the
identity of mAyA and avidyA

2. there are passages distinguishing them.

 Paul Hacker leans towards the second viewpoint even though it is contrary
to the hundreds of texts and acharyas who have expounded AV over the last
thousand years and taught the *reconciliation of passages of type 1 and
type 2 by taking the former to subsume the latter.*

Unless the living tradition of Advaita pedagogy is considered, two people
can just keep going around in circles quoting typing 1 and type 2 passages
over and over again and whoever has the last quote might feel his view has
the upper hand. It becomes an inconclusive wild goose chase.

Paul Hacker arbitrarily chooses to privilege the second type over the first
and so he has to do something illogical viz., he has to ignore GaudapAda
and Sri Shankara's other works which clearly assert that avidyA has an
ontological aspect too. To do this Hacker has to say that GaudapAda is
irrelevant or wrong and that the entire vedanta tradition after Shankara
has diverged from ShAnkara vedAnta. By thus "digesting" and dismissing the
entire later tradition of teaching Advaita, then Shankara alone can be
"dealt with" to show the ultimate superiority of Hacker's passionate
adherence to Christian theology in his thinking.

For those who may be interested in this background/context, viz., that Paul
Hacker's main drive was the pursuit of orientalist, racial and evangelical
agendas.

"On page 36 of the book 'Philology and Confrontation' Paul Hacker openly
says that Gaudapāda pays obeisance to Buddha in the Kārikā 4.1 and that
Shankara "covers up the fact" (*that is Paul Hacker's attitude towards Sri
Shankara*) by struggling to interpret the verse to somehow mean an
obeisance to Narayana. There cannot be a greater example of Paul Hacker
being a candidate... for Shankara's chastisement: asampradāyavit mūrkhavat
upekṣaṇīyaḥ. Elsewhere also he subscribes to the view that Advaita is only
Buddhism in disguise. There cannot be a greater insult to the Advaita
Acharyas." From earlier post by Subbu ji. Italics mine.

Also an interesting article regarding this...
https://www.academia.edu/9270352/The_passion_of_Paul_Hacker_Indology_orientalism_and_evangelism

Excerpt-
"Among the many German scholars -missionaries, Romantics, and Sanskritists
fascinated by India the German Indologist Paul remains one of the most
elusive (and controversial) figures. Internationally, though
problematically acknowledged as an expert on Vedānta, Hacker is
paradigmatic of the many problems with German Indology. A vociferous critic
of India, a country he visited between 1954 and 1955, Hacker nonetheless
obsessed about Indian thought, especially Hinduism. For this volume,
examining the history of the cultural encounter between India and Germany,
we have chosen to focus on this controversial figure as a way of
understanding some of the more problematic aspects of this encounter. In
particular, we seek to understand how German Indologists, under the
pretense of undertaking a "scientific" analysis of Indian thought, were in
fact pursuing Orientalist, racial, and evangelical agendas."

Hacker has figured earlier too in some discussions on Advaita l.

https://www.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2016-September/042368.html

Om
Raghav

On Wed, 7 Dec, 2022, 10:47 pm V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l, <